Suggested high school courses for admission to top colleges:
- 4 years of math, with calculus in senior year (or minimum of precalculus). If you are interested in premed, you must take calculus.
- 4 years of English, with AP English lang and/or lit
- Minimum of 3 years of science (including biology, chemistry, and physics). If you are interested in premed, you should aim to take AP science courses.
- Minimum of 3 years of a foreign language
- Minimum of 3 years of history, with at least one AP course
AP classes that are highly recommended for admission to most selective colleges and universities:
- Foreign languages
- Sciences: biology, physics, chemistry
- Math: calculus AB or BC, statistics
- English literature or language
- History: US; European; government and politics comparative; government and politics US
- Macro and micro economics
- Music theory
Any AP or advanced level class is worthwhile.
Please note that colleges expect students who attend schools offering AP courses to take at least four AP classes by the time they graduate. Schools look at AP scores not only for the purposes of conferring credit or placement, but to see how well prepared you are for their school.